FSBI NMRRC of the Ministry of Health of Russia is a center joining three branches, the main direction of work for which is the development of fundamental and applied scientific potential and use of the newest scientific achievements and high technologies in the diagnostics and treatment of oncologic diseases.
The basis of most developments of the FSBI NMRRC of the Ministry of Health of Russia are the principles of increased efficiency of treatment, organs preservation and improved quality of life.
- Medical Radiological Research Center n.a. A.F. Tsyba – branch of the FSBI NMRRC of the Ministry of Health of Russia – main Russian center for development and medical application of highly precise radiological methods of diagnostics and treatment of patients with oncologic and non-oncologic diseases.
- P.Hertsen Moscow Oncology Research Center – branch of the FSBI NMRRC of the Ministry of Health of Russia – oldest research and practical institution of Europe and first oncologic institution in Russia, which created the basis for Russian oncologic science and service.
- Research Institute of Urology and Intervention Radiology n.a. N.A. Lopatkin - branch of the FSBI NMRRC of the Ministry of Health of Russia – is a modern successful medical center, which performs in-depth studies of reproductive pathologies and actively engages in practical activities.
Status of the national center significantly expanded the possibilities for the patients to get all the aspects of modern high-tech medical care, from surgical care using photodynamic therapy and intraoperational chemotherapy to radiosurgery and combined radiation methods using Cyber-Knife.
There are wide possibilities for palliative care, using not only the methods of conservative and surgical anesthesia, but the novelty for Russia in form of methods of hyperthermia etc.
The center has high research potential. It raised a whole range of scientists who are engaged not only in fundamental research but also its practical application for cancer treatment, the development of new anticancer drugs and schemes of conservative treatment to improve the quality of life of patients.
Employees of the Center include:
MAIN DIRECTIONS OF WORK OF THE CENTER:
- 4 academicians of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 3 correspondent members of the Russian Academy of Sciences
- 94 Dr.Scient.Med.
- 247 PhD Med
- 468 researchers
- 380 doctors
- There were successfully implemented various techniques of conformal radiotherapy (3D, IMRT, IGRT), used unconventional methods of remote photon therapy, including in combination with local hyperthermia. Significant experience is accumulated in using such a high-tech method of treatment of malignant neoplasms as the intraoperative radiation therapy.
- We apply the techniques of interstitial radiation therapy, including brachytherapy of prostate cancer, and tumors of the oral cavity. In the treatment of patients with thyroid cancer and hyperthyroidism we used radioiodine therapy method. We perform radionuclide therapy for bone metastases.
- Due to the low invasiveness, selective destruction, the possibility of repeated use, good cosmetic results and the absence of toxic immunosuppressive reactions the methods of photodynamic therapy are widely used.
- The reference point for the beginning of the treatment a cancer patient is accurate diagnosis. Early and rapid diagnosis of cancers is a major key to the success of treatment, so the development of oncologic diagnostics methods is one of the main priorities of our work. The Center can perform examinations required to identify almost any cancer.
- In the hematology department there are treated patients with Hodgkin's disease, and Hodgkin's lymphomas and non- Hodgkin's lymphomas (lymphosarcomas), multiple myeloma and relapse of these diseases.
- For the treatment of cancer we are actively using the so-called “smart” drugs. They are sent directly to the cancer cells and are deposited in their membranes, or introduced into biological intracellular processes. Such drugs include both biological and chemical agents, and antibodies. The main advantage of these methods is that they have the maximum destructive effect on the tumor while causing minimal damage to the healthy cells of the human body.
- Surgery in the Center is represented the following directions: abdominal, thoracic, thoraco-abdominal, reconstructive breast disease and the skin, microsurgical, oncologic orthopedics, neurosurgery, oncourology, cancers, gynecology (including IVF), X-ray surgery, urology, kidney transplant, dialysis, that allows us to quickly provide the necessary multiprofile high tech medical care using modern tools and supplies, including microsurgery, endoscopic, endovascular, laser surgery etc., which ensures the quality of service.